[od-discuss] UK OGL Compliant?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Oct 19 17:56:36 UTC 2011

Hi Rufus and all,

I think the 3 clauses you've called out are quite problematic. IANAL
but "ensure" sounds burdensome, "official" is unclear, and "mislead"
is ripe for abuse. As the OKD draws much from the OSD, which itself is
based on the DFSG, I take license to call out the
http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html#tentacles_of_evil test. I
think analogously, if an oppressive government comes to power, the OGL
provides built-in excuses for suppression of uses of "open"
information it finds disagreeable. Maybe this concern is over the top,
just putting it out there.

The clauses, even if OKD compliant, are also problematic for
compatibility with other licenses, though I don't understand why
sharealike licenses in particular -- eg can one practically adapt an
OGL work and release under CC-BY or ODC-BY? I know there's an
expressed intention to permit that, but downstream users would need to
be more careful than they'd need to be with a CC-BY or ODC-BY work
that doesn't incorporate OGL material. In any case it would be good to
document the OKD conformance approval process and in said
documentation encourage thinking about issues beyond narrow
conformance such as proliferation and compatibility.
http://opensource.org/approval may be a good place to start from.

Mike

https://creativecommons.net/ml