No subject

Thu Oct 25 19:26:07 UTC 2012

Definition".  It's clean and simple.

Putting the word "Knowledge" in the middle of the definition makes me think
"I wonder what they mean by knowledge?".

For some reason, I think the word "Knowledge" in the parent organization
OKF is fine... makes total sense, but I do prefer just OD for the
definition.

I also like the "how does this relate to area X" idea that Rufus suggests.
+1

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> [...]
>
> OD fits with this genericity (that the "knowledge" was ultimately
> trying to capture ...) and fits with the URL and is just shorter.
>
> > daydreamed about a meta open definition, which would try to capture
> > the spirit of Open even when people try to apply the term to things
> > that aren't fixed (knowledge, software) but also processes and
> > relations (organizations, society...). This is probably not the right
> > venue or time, but it a do-ocracy to an extent if anyone wishes to
> > try. :)
>
> I agree on that. I think a focus on (non-software) information / data
> / content is right. We don't want to get into processes. Plus open as
> in process and open as in material are fundamentally different [1]
>
> [1]: cf Section 3.2, Dictator and the Anarchist in
>
> http://rufuspollock.org/2007/09/18/talk-at-law-20-openness-web-20-and-the-ethic-of-sharing/
>
> > OpenDefinition.org and the OD AC make more sense as depending on what
> > one counts, there are anywhere from 1 to 5 open definitions under the
> > project, there could be others in the future, and it occurs to me that
> > a direction for the site would be to prominently provide pointers to
> > Open in domains outside our core expertise (Open Source being most
> > obvious).
>
> I think this takes us back to the discussion in December re keeping
> OSSD prominent or deprecating it somewhat. Having thought about this
> I'm +1 on putting OSSD somewhat on the back burner and having the
> site, and our efforts, focus on the O(K)D for the current term.
>
> > The 5 are:
> >
> > Unquestionably, http://opendefinition.org/okd/
> >
> > Hidden (also seems to be recent; I didn't) and possibly subject to
> > retirement or handing off, http://opendefinition.org/software-service/
>
> I think we needn't full-on retire but somewhat archive.
>
> > Domain-specific, that simply refer to the OKD (last a bit more
> complicated):
> > http://opendefinition.org/bibliographic/
> > http://opendefinition.org/government/
> > http://opendefinition.org/science/
>
> This was from a period of trying to provide simple introductions per
> subject matter. IMO we could archive / deprecate or consolidate these
> into some form of introduction material (e.g. how does this relate to
> area X)

> > I'd like to arrive at a specific decision on consistent OKD naming (or
> > re-naming). Maybe that will be easy.
>
> My thoughts above. I note that we could also include (related but can
> also be dealt with separately - and this may be better in a separate
> thread(s)):
>
> * Topic introductions (keep / remove / relocate)
> * OSSD - archive / retire / keep
>
> > Queued up for discussion (but feel free to now), probably also on an
> > upcoming telecon, to be scheduled:
> > * Open Software Service Definition disposition
> > * Our strategy for domain-specific further definitions/explanations
> > * Our strategy for highlighting/recommending complementary Open

Herb Lainchbury
Dynamic Solutions Inc.
www.dynamic-solutions.com
http://twitter.com/herblainchbury

--f46d04016b05c8019804d588995b

bel &quot;Open Definition&quot;. =A0It&#39;s clean and simple.<div><br></di=
v><div>Putting the word &quot;Knowledge&quot; in the middle of the definiti=
on makes me think &quot;I wonder what they mean by knowledge?&quot;.</div>
&quot; in the parent organization OKF is fine... makes total sense, but I d=
like the &quot;how does this relate to area X&quot; idea that Rufus suggest=
s. +1</div>
 Feb 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Rufus Pollock <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:rufus.pollock at okfn.org" target=3D"_blank">rufus.pollock at okfn.org</a>&g=
t;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On 12 February 2013 03:23,=
 Mike Linksvayer &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ml at gondwanaland.com">ml at gondwanaland=
.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

&gt; AFAICT, throughout its history, the OKD has been called the OKD, eg<br=

&gt; <a href=3D"http://blog.okfn.org/2005/10/19/open-knowledge-definition-r=
eleased/" target=3D"_blank">http://blog.okfn.org/2005/10/19/open-knowledge-=
definition-released/</a><br>
&quot;open definition&quot; there started to be some toing and fro-ing on t=
his<br>
(in my mind and in reference on the web).<br>
&gt; Except on the document itself <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/okd=
/" target=3D"_blank">http://opendefinition.org/okd/</a> (current<br>
&gt; version anyway) and a few other places on the <a href=3D"http://opende=
finition.org" target=3D"_blank">opendefinition.org</a> site,<br>
&gt; such as the &quot;in your language&quot; sidebar, where it is called &=
quot;Open<br>
&gt; Definition&quot;.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I changed the places I found on the site to OKD sometime in the past<b=
r>
&gt; couple months, but it looks like they&#39;re back. Also looks like the=
&gt; overall OKF theme may have been upgraded (looks nice), maybe there&#39=
;s a<br>
&gt; correlation (I mean, causation, but such is common language).<br>
&gt; Anyway, we should discuss this. I like consistent use of OKD and Open<=
br>
&gt; Knowledge Definition spelled out; it&#39;s consistent, accurate, and t=
ies<br>
&gt; in nicely with OKF; great branding in my opinion. And OD/Open<br>
&gt; Definition is somewhere between generic and imperialist. I have<br>

knowledge has a somewhat odd ring and the main applications are around<br>
data and content.<br>
OD fits with this genericity (that the &quot;knowledge&quot; was ultimately=
trying to capture ...) and fits with the URL and is just shorter.<br>
&gt; daydreamed about a meta open definition, which would try to capture<br=

&gt; the spirit of Open even when people try to apply the term to things<br=

&gt; that aren&#39;t fixed (knowledge, software) but also processes and<br>
&gt; relations (organizations, society...). This is probably not the right<=
br>
&gt; venue or time, but it a do-ocracy to an extent if anyone wishes to<br>
&gt; try. :)<br>
/ content is right. We don&#39;t want to get into processes. Plus open as<b=
r>
in process and open as in material are fundamentally different [1]<br>
[1]: cf Section 3.2, Dictator and the Anarchist in<br>
0-and-the-ethic-of-sharing/" target=3D"_blank">http://rufuspollock.org/2007=
/09/18/talk-at-law-20-openness-web-20-and-the-ethic-of-sharing/</a><br>
&gt; OpenDefinition.org and the OD AC make more sense as depending on what<=
br>
&gt; one counts, there are anywhere from 1 to 5 open definitions under the<=
br>
&gt; project, there could be others in the future, and it occurs to me that=
&gt; a direction for the site would be to prominently provide pointers to<b=
r>
&gt; Open in domains outside our core expertise (Open Source being most<br>
&gt; obvious).<br>
r>
OSSD prominent or deprecating it somewhat. Having thought about this<br>
I&#39;m +1 on putting OSSD somewhat on the back burner and having the<br>
site, and our efforts, focus on the O(K)D for the current term.<br>
&gt; The 5 are:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Unquestionably, <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/okd/" target=3D"_=
blank">http://opendefinition.org/okd/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hidden (also seems to be recent; I didn&#39;t) and possibly subject to=
&gt; retirement or handing off, <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/softwa=
re-service/" target=3D"_blank">http://opendefinition.org/software-service/<=
/a><br>
&gt; Domain-specific, that simply refer to the OKD (last a bit more complic=
ated):<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/bibliographic/" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://opendefinition.org/bibliographic/</a><br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/government/" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://opendefinition.org/government/</a><br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://opendefinition.org/science/" target=3D"_blank">http:=
//opendefinition.org/science/</a><br>
br>
subject matter. IMO we could archive / deprecate or consolidate these<br>
into some form of introduction material (e.g. how does this relate to<br>
area X)<br>
&gt; ...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;d like to arrive at a specific decision on consistent OKD naming=
 (or<br>
&gt; re-naming). Maybe that will be easy.<br>
also be dealt with separately - and this may be better in a separate<br>
thread(s)):<br>
* Topic introductions (keep / remove / relocate)<br>
* OSSD - archive / retire / keep<br>
&gt; Queued up for discussion (but feel free to now), probably also on an<b=
r>
&gt; upcoming telecon, to be scheduled:<br>
&gt; * Open Software Service Definition disposition<br>
&gt; * Our strategy for domain-specific further definitions/explanations<br=

&gt; * Our strategy for highlighting/recommending complementary Open<br>
&gt; definitions (software, standards?)<br>
Rufus<br>