[od-discuss] Please review: DRAFT Terms of Use for the german federal data portal

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Sun Sep 30 20:18:37 UTC 2012

Dear Mike,

thank you very much for your comments and please accept my apologies for answering delayed. Comments inline.

On 20 Sep 2012, at 20:23, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Daniel Dietrich
> <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> attached is the DRAFT German License that will be promoted as standard license for the documents and data in the upcoming German OGD portal.
>>
>> We have managed get a translation done by fried with native en/de but might not be perfect. I have pushed it into a google doc for your comments:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dk68bfuEp8eDsgIDBSZuQAr07_YWnbjvr8s5CEZ-q4o/edit
>>
>> As discussed in the last call I would ask for your help to review the DRATF and provide feedback on its compliance with the OD.
>
> It looks like a summary of various categories licenses. Am I missing
> something?

As far as I understand this is NOT exactly a 'summary of various categories licenses', but indeed intended to be a simple "terms of use" replacing detailed licenses.

What do you and others think? Is this an appropriate way of adding this kind of simplistic terms of use?

> As named:
>
> Open*
>
> 0 no conditions
> A attribution

The question: if this is indeed the full text of the terms of use, would these two really count as compliant with the OD?

> Non-open
>
> B attribution-noncommercial
> C attribution only with payment
> D attribution-noncommercial only with payment

I agree, this seams to be very clear.

> The "further optional elements to be discussed" are obviously to be
> avoided for open licenses.

I will try to find out what the status of this is.

> *Probably, would need to see full license for category.

As mentioned above, I am afraid this is the full text DRAFT.

What do others think?

All best
Daniel