[od-discuss] continued revision of the definition

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Mon Oct 21 15:12:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Kent Mewhort <kent at openissues.ca> wrote:

>  Great work, Luis. I think this split between the license/work is the
> right direction to go.
>
> I've added some comments to Luis' draft and experimented with inverting
> all the negative conditions to positive rights:
> https://github.com/kmewhort/opendefinition/blob/master/source/open-definition-dev.markdown.
> Let me know if you think this works well or not.  I'd also be particularly
> interested in what others think of having a section in the Open Works
> definition for "soft", recommended criteria (eg. archiving, metadata, use
> of open standards, availability of APIs, etc).

Thanks for engaging with my proposal, Kent. I really like the switch from
negative conditions to positive rights - I think it overall works much
better. (And agree about moving the definitions to the end, or perhaps
trying to get rid of them altogether.)

POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTION FOR SOMEONE: We probably need to go through the
various emails in my TODO to create a master list of all new suggestions
that have been made for new permissions/restrictions, and making sure they
all fit into this scheme - I have not had time to do that.

My only quibble is with your last comment in the definition about the AC's
discretion on new conditions. My experience is that authors are very
creative in finding new ways to restrict the mandatory rights/permissions,
and so the AC needs discretion to say "this is a new, creative, but still
wrong restriction". I would agree that the AC probably should not have
discretion to say "this is a new, creative, and *acceptable* restriction" -
we should only be able to say no, not yes.

Luis