[od-discuss] German Data license 2.0

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Fri Jul 11 12:38:00 UTC 2014

Dear Mike, all,

I have reported your feedback, questions back to Dr. Helene Groß form the Ministry of the Interior and she kindly asked me to reply on her behalf:

On 07.07.2014, at 23:55, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
> On 07.07.2014, at 19:44, Andrew Stott <andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com> wrote:
> > Are these the complete texts?!
>
> Yes, theses are the complete texts (very minimalistic indeed)
>
> I enjoy the brevity, and dropping NC/adding 0 a great thing.
>
> a) Does the brevity cause any required permissions to not be granted? I hope the answer is “no" but seems worth a closer look.

In our opinion, the answer is (or at least should be) “no”. We hope that the advisory council  agrees on this.

> I looked back at our feedback https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-March/000383.html and it is good that they dropped " or the source note must be deleted if the entity keeping the data requires so".
>
> b) I'm not exactly sure what "source note" means, but that may be a translation issue. What does it mean?

The german expression is “Quellenvermerk”. “Indication of source” might be a better translation. As section 2 of the licence states, this “Quellenvermerk” has to include the name of the author / provider of the dataset, the short name of the licence and the URI of the original dataset. I would be happy for any suggestions for a better wording!

> Barring "source note" meaning something bizarre, it would seem to be open, similar to requirements in other licenses and now explicitly accounted for (under Integrity) in https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/master/source/open-definition-dev.markdown
>
> c) It’d be good to get brief answers to the questions posed in https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/master/source/open-definition-approval-process.markdown#submitting-the-license

I will answers the linked questionnaire as soon as possible.

In addition Dr. Groß suggested to change the wording of Article 2 from

“(2) The user must ensure that the source note contains the following information:” to

“The user must ensure that the following information is provided to indicate the source:” or
“The user must ensure that the following information is provided as an indication of the source:”

Do you think this would make the text clearer?

All best
Daniel