[od-discuss] German Data license 2.0

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Thu Jul 24 02:17:50 UTC 2014

On 07/22/2014 12:57 PM, Daniel Dietrich wrote:
> Hi Mike, all,
>
> On 07.07.2014, at 23:55, Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> wrote:
>
>> c) It'd be good to get brief answers to the questions posed in https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/master/source/open-definition-approval-process.markdown#submitting-the-license
>>
> Dr Helene Groß from German Ministry of the Interior just send me her answers to the questions posted on Github. I hope this is helpful.
>
> Also: whats the process to find decision whether or not the German Data license 2.0 is in compliance with the Open Definition?

I believe the chair (Herb) will issue a call for approval votes when it
seems those participating in the discussion have their questions addressed.

I'm fine with the answers below but would still very much like to have
others ask or indicate no questions, given that the form of these
licenses is substantially different from those already approved.

I suspect these licenses' brevity is just fine, including 0 not claiming
to dedicate to the public domain, instead skipping directly to an
unconditional license. I like these licenses but again want to be sure
others have looked.

One small comment on the answers inline.

Mike

> All best
> Daniel
>

> 1. State the rationale for the new license.
> The “data licence Germany” focusses on public sector data which is provided under German public law. Without the “data licence Germany”, German administration would not have a proper way to define Open-Definition-compatible terms of use for their data, as it is still controversial discussed if civil-law-based licences like Creative Commons may be used by the federal administration and especially for data.

Is civil-law-based what is intended here? How would the data licence
Germany be categorized then? Apologies for my ignorance!