[od-discuss] v2.0dev Review Requested

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 18:22:27 UTC 2014

I realize now that my rephrasing at the beginning turns this into a
definition of "Open Knowledge" instead of a definition of "Open". I'm not
sure that's a problem, but it is a major shift that I hadn't noticed before
(given that it previously still said "Knowledge is open if…" which was
already limited to whatever "knowledge" is rather than anything open). My
overall feelings is that it makes total sense for this to be the definition
of Open Knowledge and that we can go around saying "this is Open
Knowledge!" and "that is *not* Open Knowledge" etc. — it becomes a more
identifiable item and strongly connects this definition to the
organization. I actually think that's preferable to trying to insist that
this is the definition of a common English word generally.

So, I stick by my proposal:

*"Open Knowledge allows anyone the freedoms to access, use, modify, and
share — subject only, at most, to measures that preserve provenance and
openness."*
I'm just working to make sure everyone is aware of the ramifications of
each of the several minor changes I've made to get to that.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf