[od-discuss] v2.0dev Review Requested

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Fri May 9 18:27:13 UTC 2014

A number of thoughts:

> redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement to attribute
> and/or share-alike.*

First, it would be ideal to find a better subject for this sentence than
"data or content".  The word "content" is a problem term. Although I'm not
suggesting deference to their dogma, it is on the GNU project's list of
problem words: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Content
Words like "works" and "information" and "publications" are better.
Notice that if we make the subject, "content or data" it really feels
awkward. That highlights the lousiness of the word "content". In this case,
I think "data" is fine; we just need a better term for works generally.

Second, free use, reuse, and redistribution doesn't cover *access*. Can we
really say that something is "open" if access to it initially is
prohibitive. I think access needs to be included alongside the other
things. Also, modification isn't explicitly covered here. How about
"access, use, modification, and redistribution" in this summary?

I really *like* the focus on being synonymous with "free" and "libre". It's
wonderful that we're trying to be inclusive rather than distinctive. That
said, "free" and "libre" do not directly reference access. As I mentioned
above, I think access is essential for openness, and "libre" definitions
only address the freedoms after you have gotten access. So we should add
"access" to the freedoms covered by "open" and clarify that "open" includes
all the values of "free/libre" *plus* the value of open access. It would be
fine to reference how, in practice, most things described as "free/libre"
are indeed open access.

Ah, I see "work" is embraced in the formal definition (instead of "content"
etc), so let's just be consistent in the summary too.

As I said above, I don't think the term "reuse" necessarily carries
connotations of being able to substantially modify something. I think
"modification" is better. I don't feel strongly about this, as the
definition is clear in the details.

In 1.2.1 there's a missing comma after "if this condition is imposed"

The "must" in 1.2.2 is totally redundant (and thus confusing even) given
the word "require"

2.1.2 includes the access issues I was talking about, so we just need to
include "access" in the summary and other relevant places.

There's no reason for a 2.1 section if there's no 2.2. Just makes 2.1.1 and
2.1.2 and 2.1.3 become 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.

The wording "the performance of the licensed rights" is a bit legalistic in
wording and unfriendly to regular people.

"This can be achieved by the provision of the work in an open data format"
is also legalistic and wordy. First, The heading is "open format" so let's
stick with that instead of "open data format". Overall, I suggest this be
changed to "

" no restrictions monetary or otherwise upon its use" needs commas, as in:
"no restrictions*,* monetary or otherwise*,* upon its use"

A suggestion then for 2.1.3:

"The *work* *must* be provided in an Open format, i.e., one whose
specification is freely available to the public and which places no
restrictions monetary or otherwise upon its use. The work must also be
available in the preferred form for making modifications."

The problem with saying that no technological restrictions impede the
licensed rights is that it becomes really complex. We could say things like
"this older computer doesn't run the program that uses this format, that's
a technological restriction." The important thing is not that we can remove
all technological issues but that the work doesn't itself impose them
intentionally.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for a NEW section. It is a bit bold:

We need to say that works must not be encumbered by patents or other legal
restrictions that frustrate the licensed rights. In other words, we
addressed technological restrictions, but we must also say that to be
"open" a publisher must also not impose legal restrictions to the freedoms
of access, use, modification, redistribution…

Cheers,

Aaron Wolf
Snowdrift.coop

--