[od-discuss] Status of Vancouver and Surrey OGL varients

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Sun Nov 16 01:06:43 UTC 2014

"Should we be reviewing OGL-BC-2.0 first as parent of Surrey?"

I considered that, but AFAIK no one other than me has requested OGL-BC be
decided upon.  And, since Paul specifically requested Vancouver and Surrey
it seemed logical to discuss at least one of those.

I am not sure how important "parentage" is.  I view them as three different
sub-national licenses.  Similar, yes, but different.

While non-reusable licenses are clearly less desirable, if a jurisdiction
insists on forking from another jurisdiction then I would like to at least
encourage them to fork from an approved license.  Surrey and Vancouver
presumably could choose to fork the OGL-CA rather than the OGL-BC.  I
assume they are able to do this because Surrey only recently switched to
their custom license from the PDDL which they used for quite a while before
forking the OGL-BC-2.0.  And Kelowna, another jurisdiction in BC uses the
PDDL now.

I am also happy to continue with the BC discussion, but I think Surrey's is
just as valid as they are both sub-national and the most similar approved
license they are both based on is the OGL-CA.

"I admit, again, that I didn't understand at the time of approval that
OGL-Canada could *only* be used by the federal government. Also see
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/pull/67 which I left to you. :)"

I my opinion, Paul is correct that the OGL-CA can only be used by the
federal government publishers, which is why it is listed as non-reusable.

That's my understanding of the OGL-UK as well, though I admit, I don't know
enough about the government structure there to know if that's true.

In any case, I think it would be helpful to put at least one of these
OGL-CA forks through the process.

Herb