[od-discuss] Draft letter for German Licences

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Mon Sep 22 03:38:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 9/21/2014 8:13 AM, Herb Lainchbury wrote:
>
>> Here is a draft letter to be sent to the German Ministry of the Interior
>> regarding the approval of their licenses.
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZV08NLP2zNebDfy8qBfxrLaml64E
>> qRsDI5gGyXq9i8/edit
>>
>> Please review / edit / comment.
>>
> I reviewed the Open Definition, and I see no references to exceptions for
> national governments. The first part of that paragraph is probably okay,
> since it speaks of encouraging, not of a mandatory requirement, which would
> need to be reflected in the Open Definition text, which has no requirements
> that licenses be reusable.

The exception is with respect to encouragement of using established
licenses, not necessity of doing so for OD conformance. But actually we
don't encourage national governments to make up their own licenses, we just
understand it is expedient and thus tolerate rather than encourage it, as
reflected in http://opendefinition.org/licenses/process/

I will make a minor edit right now.

Separately, do these licenses have a canonical web location? For both
German and the English translations?