[ok-scotland] Fwd: first board meeting?

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:09:16 UTC 2010

Hi Robin

thats a great question, because technically, in the absence of a statute,
none of this board stuff sense
except that all decisions re OK Foundation are taken by a board that meets
secretly and is makiing decisions for OKScotland without us knowing it

So, my comments in the notes shared with Jonathan and Joe are precisely
aimed at claryfying what kind of open society
are we working o here?

I think that it is implicitly understood that the bord makes all the
strategic decisions, and the board at the moment
does have 'secret' meetings where members of the community are not invited,
nor the contents of which is divulged
to members via minutes. That is a very poor model of transparency afaik,

Of course I have a problem with an organisational structure that replicates
the social models open knowledge is trying to
impact and evolve.

OKF as it stands is a bit stuck, and thats because all decision making
processes are a bit of a mess, and not particularly
effective, even potentially doing exactly the contrary of what it says it
does :-)

being in Scotland i think its accepted tradition to strive for independence
and justice

As a consequence of studying with interest this field  today it is suggested
that Open Knowledge Foundation Scotland is to have its own
decision making process which is not dependent on the non transparent  of OK
Foundation in the UK

A decision that I welcome anyone to challenge on this list (if someone
thinks its the wrong thing to do, lets talk about it)

And I put it to you, and to this community, whether we should have a board
 at all (I think 'techically' Scotlan should have its own board i
unless OK Foundation dissolves its board too, otherwise we depend on them

And how do we go about self governance? I suggest we meet to discuss this
and all related issues when Jo is back fro holiday