[ok-scotland] Fwd: first board meeting?

Robin Rice R.Rice at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 11:28:45 UTC 2010

Hi Paola,

OKF is an organisation like any other which receives funds and has to
act legally. I don't know how well or not they accomplish that (or how
other stakeholders view their transparency or lack of it), but
associating the Open Knowledge Scotland activity such as the recent
event with that organisation was simply a convenience, and presumably
our event's success (e.g. turnout) was in part due to the good
reputation of OKF.

The Scotland group is more like a user group, and fortunately we don't
have to deal with money or laws so I'd say the simplest thing is to use
the list and occasional meetings to progress common interests without
getting bogged down in organisational malarkey. Having a wiki space on
the OKF site and this list is again a convenience, so let's use it
productively.  I doubt anyone has time to add much more
structure/overhead/governance to our activities than that.

I'd suggest using a non-OKF list if you want to start up a group that is
not associated with OKF. Personally I'd rather we use this list and wiki
to continue to share ideas and projects of the sort that were shared in
the recent event. And bear in mind if the list gets too active people
will unsubscribe, so let's use it with care.

I'd also suggest removing the word Board from the wiki since there are
no terms of reference for a board and we are really just an informal group.

cheers,
Robin

--

Robin Rice