[ok-scotland] James Baster - Open Data - Edinburgh - Nesta

David Stafford staffordd at stirling.gov.uk
Mon Jul 28 13:57:20 UTC 2014

Hello James,

Thanks for your very thoughtful message - it's very much appreciated.

I certainly knew some of what you told me, and other items I was unaware of, so that is extremely helpful and useful.

I'm currently working on the design of our Information Asset Register, we are basically starting from a very low level position, so first, before I go leaping and bounding into the wonderful world of Open Data, I have to help our Record department get certain essential data sets, like the Information Asset Register, into shape.  So that is taking up all of my time, all day, every day, I have nine modules to spec out in all.  At the same time, I am helping Records with our Open Data Policy, we plan to have at least that in place before we begin to upload any pilots...

With regards to the work of other Councils - well, I am well connected with Edinburgh, I am very fortunate because our records manager happens to be married to Edinburgh's records manager, while I also at the same time have a very, very good friend and ex-colleague (ex-Stirling) records officer who is now working for Edinburgh's records department - and it would not surprise me in the least if he is the author of their Open Data Policy - it would not surprise me at all.  I've not spoken to him yet regarding Open Data, but next time we catch up, I plan to - so I will have no problem getting cooperation and assistance from Edinburgh !

Which is great, because we have a very small Records department, which is just finally growing above absolute minimum size, so we are finally getting to the point where we can actually get some important tasks started, and done - which is just brilliant.

But in the meantime, lots and lots of very boring research, and writing database specs is not really my thing, I'd rather be building databases or using databases, but I guess it's close.

Thank you again, for your very kind email, and for your suggestions, as I said, Open Data is really in it's infancy here, but there will come a time soon, when we are going to try to present a pilot data set, just to prove the process, but before the solid backing of proper order in RICM is established - so I am leaving the pilot to those who want to jump ahead, while I am keeping things in sequence behind the scenes, by working on the building blocks that will support Open Data - not leaping about from stream to tree to pool shouting from the rooftops - not yet :-)

It's great to meet you, James, and I am sure we will have many a nice chat over the years.  So while Stirling is interested in Open Data, we are having regular meetings about it, we are absolutely in the earliest of days here, so I don't really need to go out and explore just yet - I have my "data backbone" work to do first, and I do need to keep focussed on that, and not get distracted by pilots or other "Level 3" events that I know nothing aboot !!!

All the very best, what a nice email !  I really appreciate it, James.

Best

Dave

Dave Stafford
Data And Technical Standards Officer
ICT Implementation
Unit 12
Back O'Hill Industrial Estate
Back O'Hill Road
Stirling FK8 1SH

staffordd at stirling.gov.uk
01786 233986

>>> James Baster <james at jarofgreen.co.uk> 26/07/2014 17:21 >>>

Hello Dave (very late - sorry, have lots on!),
Pleased to hear that the council is looking at this.
I don't know if you are in touch with people at Edinburgh council but they are very keen and recently passed an open data policy - I think that's for the correct name for it anyway! They also will be running Edinburgh Apps in September. http://edinburghapps.net Anyway you might find it useful to chat to them and swap experiences. And of course there are the people from http://open.glasgow.gov.uk/ who it would be good to chat to. Edinburgh, East Lothian, Clackmannanshire and Aberdeen also recently started a NESTA programme in this area. http://www.nesta.org.uk/webapp-developer-technologist-residence Sorry if this is old hat ....

Also (cheekily) I do calendar software that handles events with heavy Open Data principles - if you are interested in such data sets send me a email! :-P

Talk soon,

James