[ok-scotland] CFP: Special Issue of the International Journal On Semantic Web and Information Systems on the Ubiquitous Semantic Web

Pan, Dr Jeff Z. jeff.z.pan at abdn.ac.uk
Thu May 22 17:39:34 UTC 2014

Thanks for your comment William.

I checked with the publisher and here is the answer that I got.

[[

We will reopen our investigation of open access for your journal. However,
I have taken a quick look at both these sites and it looks like almost
every benefit of allowing open access is covered by our Fair Use policy,
and we don¹t charge a fee. For instance, an author can post on his/her
employer¹s repository/web page, a personal webpage not associated with a
society or open research site such as SSRN or academia.edu
<http://academia.edu/>, can republish it in a book of which he is the
author/editor, can use it for classroom discussion. The only thing we ask
is that the author completes a 1-page Reuse request form so we can track
where our copyrighted material is going.  Elsevier asks for $3100 for
these things. Elsevier even charges a fee if the author wants to order a
full text pdf of the typeset version of the journal article. We provide
this service for free.

What benefit to the authors am I missing, that they would be willing to
pay $3100 for something that we offer for nothing? Please know I am not
trying to argue with you but simply acknowledge that I am missing some
important aspect of open access that you would like to see your journal
authors obtain. I appreciate any further information you can provide me.
thanks for your time.

]]

It seems to me that their Fair Use Policy is rather open already. Please
feel free to let me know if you think it is still not open enough.

Cheers,

Jeff