[Okfn-dk] nordic+baltic okfn cooperation and school of data

miska knapek contactmiska at knapek.org
Wed Jan 15 20:11:23 UTC 2014

Yes - actually, very good point.

Well, some of us are just a bit idealistic about what's possible :)

I hope I've not put people off too much about suggesting people go to
Norway, such that they're giving up on this email thread.

With a bit of luck, they'll be happier to participate in a hangout/skype
session if we suggest it, feeling relieved they don't need to go to oslo in
person :)

I've been emailing with Heather Broomfield of data.norge.no and she's
trying to come up with a plan B for the date. Once we know that, we're in a
better position to figure out when to do a skype/hangout session.

I'll keep you posted.

All the best,

miska

On 15 January 2014 13:34, Christian Villum <villum at autofunk.dk> wrote:

> I think a link-up / skype / hangout between participating nordic/baltic
> countries on Open Data Day would be great.
>
> Also, on further thought, it might be a little to ambitious to get people
> physically together as a starting point? I'd suggest that we try to
> collaborate from afar (School of Data being a great project to share) and
> then later down the road see whether we can actually put something together
> where we travel. Doing so also requires funding for most of us, I assume
> (and that shouldn't be a barrier to getting started) :)
>
> -Christian
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen <
> ole at palnatoke.org> wrote:
>
>> The Danish winter holidays are also in that week - in some
>> municipalities. In other municipalities, it is in the week before.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ole
>> Den 15/01/2014 10.09 skrev "miska knapek" <contactmiska at knapek.org>:
>>

>>> Hello again everyone,
>>>
>>> Well, it not seems that the Norwegians have a national/winter holiday
>>>  on the open data day :(
>>> They're trying to figure out alternative days for a Nordic get-together
>>> - even if it might be in skype form.
>>>
>>> The next conceivable time is around the 4th march, which is the day
>>> they're trying to push the open data day to.
>>>
>>> Here's what Heather Broomfield of data.norge.no wrote:
>>>
>>> "The Open data day has been a challenge for us.  Firstly it lands right
>>> when winter holidays are taken here in Norway (very many people take these
>>> holidays), there is also a big hackathon happening on the 6-7 Feb regarding
>>> cultural data. As you know we thought about running the data journalism
>>> event on open data day too, but given the winter holidays this would not be
>>> wise, instead we are now looking at the 4th March. We are meeting with our
>>> boss this afternoon about this, so I hope we will have confirmation that we
>>> can go ahead with it.  So with all of this happening plus the winter
>>> holidays, we had to make the difficult decision that it would be very
>>> difficult to get people if we were to push the 22nd  aswell, so we are
>>> not taking a leading role here.
>>>

>>> If we  get the data journalism day happening on the 4th, we are hoping
>>> that it would be possible to have an open data meet up that evening – could
>>> it be an option to come then instead? We could make a happening and maybe
>>> even get a Nordic meetup together or something.  There are many
>>> opportunitiesJ"
>>>
>>> /miska

miska michael knapek - your local illusionist (designer)
mob. +358-50-320-2616
web: http://knapek.org
http://twitter.com/miskaknapek
animations: http://vimeo.com/miska