[OKFN-EN] Community resilience prototyping weekend

Kieron Kirkland Kieron.Kirkland at nominettrust.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 09:22:08 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone - Rufus suggested posting this opportunity to this list.

Nominet Trust, in partnership with the Design Council, is holding a community resilience prototyping weekend on the 26th and 27th April at the Design Council offices in Angel, London.  We're looking for 8-10 teams to join us to develop prototypes that can support communities to be more resilient and cope better in the face of environmental crises and change.  We're offering three prizes to winning prototypes, a top prize of £5k and two runner up prizes of £2.5k to support organisations to further develop their work after the weekend.

The event is not explicitly focused on generating brand new ideas as happens in a traditional hack.  Rather the weekend is for ideas that may have been created but are still early stage and looking for future development.  For example, teams may have built something as a side project or at a previous hack and they want some more time to further develop it.

We're open to tech and social entrepreneurs, developers and domain experts who are interested in using technology for social good and who have previously worked on an idea and want space to develop it.  They may be an informal team connected only by their collaboration on an idea, or an existing social tech organisation looking to develop a prototype.

For more information I've put together a blog explaining the event http://www.nominettrust.org.uk/what-we-support/blogs/community-resilence-prototyping-weekend

Teams can sign up here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/community-resilience-prototyping-weekend-26th-27th-april-tickets-11083804959

If you know anyone you think would be interested in attending and has an idea they'd like to develop, we'd hugely appreciate you forwarding this onto them.  Of course they can just drop me a line if they have any questions or want to speak further.

We're also doing some inspiration and insight sessions on the Saturday morning to help teams understand the broader picture, such as other examples of where and how tech can be used to support community resilience.  If you know anyone who may be interested in doing a short speaking slot to inspire or inform the teams, just let me know!

Kind regards

Kieron

Kieron Kirkland
Development Research Manager
Nominet Trust
www.nominettrust.org.uk<http://www.nominettrust.org.uk/>
Follow us on Twitter @nominettrust<http://www.twitter.com/nominettrust>
t: +44 (0)1865 334000<tel:%2B44%20%280%291865%20334000> m: +44 (0)7557 973013 f: +44 (0)1865 332314<tel:%2B44%20%280%291865%20332314>

Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4DQ

[Nominet Trust logotype RGB SMALL]