[okfn-help] SIMPLE QUESTION: Gmail aliases

Chris Mear chrismear at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:06:36 UTC 2011

I'm not familiar with OKFN's email setup, but this problem sounds similar to one I've dealt with in other organisations.

The thing to realise is that each of these email addresses represents two things: (a) an email address that people can send email to; and (b) a Google account identified by that address.

You can set up an alias/forwarder in Gmail which will take email sent to one address and forward it to another of your addresses. However, this does not link the associated Google accounts in any way.

Suppose I have set up chris at example.com to forward emails to my usual Gmail account, chrismear at gmail.com. Then, somebody sends a Google Calendar invite to chris at example.com.

I receive the invite by logging into Gmail using chrismear at gmail.com. But when I click on the invite link, Google Calendar complains.

This is because the invite is for chris at example.com, not for chrismear at gmail.com. But I am currently logged into Google as chrismear at gmail.com. So Google Calendar believes the invite is not for me.

To resolve it, I need to manually log out of Google Calendar, then log in again using my chris at example.com account. Then I can try the invite link again, and it will work.

I usually end up using a separate browser to be logged into a separate Google account when necessary. It's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way I know to manage multiple identities like this.

Chris