[okfn-help] free software for teleconferencing, etc.

William Waites ww at styx.org
Sun Jul 10 08:39:38 UTC 2011

* [2011-07-09 20:40:08 -0400] Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> écrit:

] It definitely shouldn't, and it is easy to avoid.  All it takes
] is an Asterisk server and it can enable you to join the conversation
] while calling in some other way.

I guess we're aware of Asterisk (and Freeswitch) and those are not so
hard, the concerns have more to do with client software. SIP clients
tend to suffer NAT traversal problems unless all the network equipment
on the call path is reasonably well behaved. IAX2 is better in this
respect but is not so widely implemented because it isn't an
IETF-blessed standard.

And some important participants in these meetings are non-technical
and have very low tolerance and patience for setting up client
software on their computers so that it works right. (To get an idea of
the placement of the bar, it was pointed out that often times we have
trouble getting people to use IRC!) So its the "calling in some other
way" part that's the main question.

Does the FSF have any experience with or recommendations about client
software for these kinds of users?

-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>