[okfn-help] free software for teleconferencing, etc.

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sun Jul 10 18:54:57 UTC 2011

    I guess we're aware of Asterisk (and Freeswitch) and those are not so
    hard, the concerns have more to do with client software. SIP clients
    tend to suffer NAT traversal problems unless all the network equipment
    on the call path is reasonably well behaved. IAX2 is better in this
    respect but is not so widely implemented because it isn't an
    IETF-blessed standard.

If they don't have a will to get the job done, even a little obstacle
can defeat them.  You need to insist.

Is there a way you can call in with an ordinary phone call?

    Does the FSF have any experience with or recommendations about client
    software for these kinds of users?

I doubt we ever do this, but I can ask.

Maybe they can set up Asterisk and gateway it to whatever else
they are using.  Then you, at least, can call Asterisk instead.

You could also subsequently help those other users switch to Asterisk
at their own pace.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation