[okfn-help] Solutions for Book Translations

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 24 14:18:24 UTC 2012

Sphinx natively supports the i18n tools than integrate with Transifex.
I know that, unfortunately, DDJ handbook was not in sphinx but
asciidoc but similar tools may exist.

You can get a sense of the workflow we used by looking at README on:
<https://github.com/okfn/opendatahandbook>

In general I don't know of anything that will easily allow
simultaneous editing of the same text section but the sphinx + i18n
tool approach does lead to text being broken up into chunks that
people could work on independently.

Rufus

On 24 May 2012 13:16, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are currently looking into tools for translating the Data
> Journalism Handbook. I understand that Transifex was used for the Open
> Data Handbook, but was wondering how that worked as a workflow? Did
> someone have to go through and break up each paragraph into sentences
> before inputting it.
>
> I believe DDJBook is around 60,000 words and we need a tool that will
> ideally allow people to edit collaboratively and remotely (and
> preferably preserve the formatting!) - does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Lucy
>
> --
> Lucy Chambers