[okfn-it] OKFN Italian Chapter?

Federico Morando federico.morando a polito.it
Ven 10 Giu 2011 00:31:44 UTC

On 06/10/2011 01:44 AM, Stefano Costa wrote:
> la disponibilità di NEXA non giunge inaspettata, ma mi sembra comunque
> un mattone molto importante per costruire questa idea.
Solo per evitare equivoci, io mi son permesso di promettere solo quel
poco che posso, ovvero il mio personale supporto, che è solo una voce
dentro NEXA. Ciò detto, la collaborazione con OKFn a livello
internazionale è sempre stata ottima e non vedrei ragione di non fare lo
stesso a livello italiano: la sfera accademica e quella dei progetti di
OKF sono vicine, ma non sovrapposte e le sinergie potenziali sono
straordinarie.
> Volevo solo dire che abbiamo discusso questa idea negli ultimi giorni
> con Maurizio e Jonathan, ci sono delle buone opportunità ma anche alcune
> criticità: ad esempio, secondo me *in questo momento* "Open Knowledge"
> rischia di corrispondere 1:1 con "Open Government Data", e trovo che
> sarebbe estremamente riduttivo, sia alla luce delle nuove attività sul
> fronte bibliografico, sia nell'ottica di lungo periodo ‒ di cui peraltro
> mi farebbe piacere discutere in parallelo all'idea di formalizzare il
> chapter OKFN Italia.
Molto giusto, e - come pro memoria rispetto ad alcune altre cosine
interessanti - vi propongo questa lista, estratta dalle policy
recommendations del progetto COMMUNIA (di cui sarà pubblicato presto il
Report finale):

    *

      The term of copyright protection should be reduced. The excessive
      length of copyright protection combined with an absence of
      formalities is highly detrimental to the accessibility of our
      shared knowledge and culture.

    *

      The proposed term extension of copyright protection for performers
      and sound recordings will harm the public domain and must not be
      implemented.

    *

      Harmonize Exceptions and Limitations of the Copyright Directive
      among the Member States and open up the exhaustive list so that
      the user prerogatives – such as fair dealing and fair use – can be
      adapted to the ongoing technological transformations.

    *

      As a pre-requisite for unlocking the cultural, educational and
      economic potential of the public domain, identification of works
      being in the public domain should be made easier and less resource
      consuming by simplifying and harmonizing rules of copyright
      duration and territoriality.

    *

      Digital reproductions of works that are in the Public Domain must
      also belong to the Public Domain. Use of works in the public
      domain should not be limited by any means, either legal or technical.

    *

      Any false or misleading attempt to misappropriate Public Domain
      material must be declared unlawful. False or misleading attempts
      to claim exclusivity over Public Domain material must be sanctioned.

    *

      The Public Domain needs to be protected from the adverse effects
      of Technical Protection Measures. Circumvention of TPMs must be
      allowed when exercising user rights created by Exceptions and
      Limitations or when using Public Domain works. The deployment of
      TPMs to hinder or impede privileged uses of a protected work or
      access to public domain material must be sanctioned.

    *

      In order to prevent unnecessary and unwanted protection of works
      of authorship, full copyright protection should only be granted to
      works that have been registered by their authors. Non-registered
      works should only get moral rights protection.

    *

      Europe needs an efficient pan-European system that guarantees
      users full access to orphan works. Both mandatory exceptions and
      extended collective licensing in combination with a guarantee fund
      should be explored. Any due diligent search requirements should be
      proportionate to the ability of the users to trace the rights holders.

    *

      Memory Institutions must be enabled to fulfill their traditional
      function in the online environment. In order to be able to provide
      access to knowledge and culture they must benefit from compulsory
      and harmonized exceptions and limitations that allow them to make
      their collections available online for non-commercial purposes.

    *

      Digitization projects that receive public funding must - at the
      minimum - ensure that all digitized content is publicly available
      online. Allowing for the free redistribution of digitized content
      should be considered since it is beneficial for the sustainability
      of the access to digitized cultural heritage.

    *

      Access to copyright protected works for education and research
      purposes must be facilitated by strengthening existing exceptions
      and limitations and broadening them to cover uses outside of
      formal educational institutions. All publicly funded research
      output and educational resources must be made available as open
      access materials.

    *

      The PSI Directive needs to be broadened, by increasing its scope
      to include publicly funded memory organisations - such as museums
      or galleries - and strengthened by mandating that Public Sector
      Information will be made freely available for all to use and
      re-use without restriction.

    *

      In order to support the emerging culture of sharing copyright
      protected works alternative reward systems and cultural flat rate
      models should be explored.

Dentro, c'è anche qualcosa che ha a che fare con open data, ma mi pare
che quasi tutto rientri nella potenziale sfera di interesse di OKF (e di
un suo capitolo italiano, fatte le opportune declinazioni). Si possono
poi aggiungere svariati temi complementari, dall'accesso al wi-fi alla
neutralità della rete, che rappresentano alcuni presupposti tecnologici
dell'apertura della conoscenza.

Ahh, a proposito di COMMUNIA, vi invito a dare un'occhiata qui:
http://www.communia-association.org/
(OKF è un membro fondatore, per altro, così come il Centro NEXA.)

Buona notte anche da Torino,

Federico