[Okfn-pk] Suggestions by Mr. Mohsin

Nouman Nazim nouman.nazim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:24:40 UTC 2015

Hello Mohsin, Yes I have worked as NGOs Monitoring Officer in Pakistan
under Ministry of Interior but before coming to the point I would like to
clear 2-3 things which will help you in achieving the planned tasks. There
is no single body of law that governs NGOs in Pakistan. There are between
10 to 18 different laws in Pakistan that may govern an NGO. First of all
SECP register nationwide Non-Profit Companies under Section 42 of the
Companies Ordinance, 1984. There are three other major laws dealing with
registration of NGOs / Non-profit organizations in Pakistan which are as
under:-

i) Voluntary Social Welfare Agencies, 1961
ii) Societies Registration Act, 1860
iii) Trust Act, 1882

Registration cases falling under the laws mentioned at serial no. (i) and
(ii) are undertaken by the Registrar of NGOs appointed in each District of
Pakistan. Whereas, registration cases under Trust Act (sr. no. iii) are
managed by Tehsildar Office located in all the Districts of Pakistan.

As regard International NGOs interested in working under Pakistan, they are
required to obtain approval from the Establishment Division as well as
thorough clearance from National Security Agencies.

Keeping in view the fact that there are multiple authorities dealing with
registration of NGOs / Non-Profit Organizations in Pakistan at National as
well as District level, there is no single database containing record /
registration details of all those NGOs. Many private organizations tried to
collect the record about NGOs registered / working in different cities /
villages of Pakistan which can be found online at following links:-

http://www.ngos.org.pk/
http://www.unesco.org.pk/documents/Directory%20of%20NGOs.pdf
http://www.ngoworldpk.com/ngo-introduction/download-full-ngo-directory-(pakistan)/
https://sites.google.com/site/thecivilsocietyforumofpakistan/Pakistan-nonprofits-directory

Above mentioned links does not provide the complete list of all the NGOs
registered / working in Pakistan. Total number of NGOs registered in
Islamabad only are more than 3000 (list can be produced). An estimated
number of NGOs registered / working in whole Pakistan is 30,000+ and at
present there is no single database available with any Government Agency
which contains all those NGOs.

*Nouman Nazim*

Ambassador / Group Lead
Open Knowledge Pakistan <http://pk.okfn.org>