[okfn-za] The marketing case for open government data

Arthur Attwell arthur at arthurattwell.com
Thu May 23 09:52:52 UTC 2013

Without knowing exactly what kind of data you mean, Nimi, I may be
missing the point entirely. But FWIW.

The World Bank publishes a lot of data that I would call unsexy, and yet
lots of developers use it for their own purposes, and even make it sexy
after the fact. The World Bank Data About page emphasises their social
mission: "The World Bank recognizes that transparency and accountability
are essential to the development process and central to achieving the
Bank’s mission to alleviate poverty." The rest of that page my help,
too: http://data.worldbank.org/about

Your marketing case so far seems strong, but it appeals only to their
logical institutional needs.

You're asking them to buy something (with their time and energy). Every
buying decision is first and foremost an emotional decision, and the
logical part only matters if the buyer needs a way to justify their
decision afterwards (perhaps to know they've covered their asses).

So, depending on the individuals you have to pitch to, you may find the
social-impact, emotion-driven case gets you further. The 'it's the right
thing to do', 'save the world' approach. If they personally join that
mission, they'll feel better about themselves. It appeals to their egos.
Your own enthusiasm for this world-changing mission may be infectious, too.

My 2c.

Arthur