[okfn-za] [HacksHackers Jo'burg] Re: The marketing case for open government data

Nimi Hoffmann Nimi.Hoffmann at gmail.com
Tue May 28 06:21:24 UTC 2013

Rufus, Francois and Theresa

That's great, thank you.

>From what I've seen so far, I think that the organisation collects and
curates its data quite well. Some of this data is already in the public
domain, but its hidden so well that you'd have to know what you were
looking for in order to find it. The organisation also does not have its
own website up and running yet. It's only visible through its parent
organisation. They're currently putting together a website, so the
challenge is to get them to incorporate openness into the design.

Transparency, participation and collaborative innovation are excellent
guiding principles for open data. But I think I will also need to make a
straightfoward marketing case to them; i.e. open data will increase traffic
on the website.

Would any of you be able to point me to a study that demonstrates that open
data increases an organisation's visibility (i.e. website traffic)?

Cheers,
Nimi