[okfn-za] [HacksHackers Jo'burg] Re: The marketing case for open government data

Francois van Schalkwyk francois at compressdsl.com
Tue May 28 07:16:49 UTC 2013

Hi Nimi

See attached/below: The graph shows the increase in visits to the open data
page of a South African-based NGO's website (from mid-Feb to end-May). The
actual number of visits may not seem all that impressive and the growth is
off a zero base, but (i) more people are visiting the page over time; (ii)
this is fairly niched open data so the audience is not that large to start
off with; (iii) it is possible that the addition of open data is attracting
new visitors and more repeat visits (this will only become clearer over
time). So, this is not a study but just a small example. Hope you find it
useful in some way and that you bring them around!

Best wishes

Francois

Analytics www.chet.org open data.jpg