[open-heritage] Open data from Culture Grid?

Ian Ibbotson ianibbo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 07:16:37 UTC 2010

Cheers for this Jonathan, interesting.

think it's important to note - the data's not been scraped (At least
not from what I can tell) it's just used in-situ via it's service.

As I think I say in the text at http://ckan.net/package/culturegrid
the problem with licensing is that CG is an aggregation of lots of
other data sources, rather than being a content owner itself.
Therefore, it's not possible to blanket license the data. However, CG
should be in a position to (a) negotiate open licenses with providers
and (b) since there is an automated submission process, gather
record-level licensing in an automated manner.

In terms of quantizing CG as downloadable files - I've just about got
a tool that can be pointed at an OAI feed and used to create
daily/weekly/monthly update files that can be downloaded. Clearly, we
need to jump the license hurdle first. That said, I still think ckan
support for streamed sources (OAI) is not great - and a conceptually
difficult fit for the "Downloadable files" model.

Apols for the delay on the blog post... Been a bit crazy up here...
Still working on it when I get some spare time.

Best,
Ian.

--
Ian Ibbotson