[open-heritage] Open data from Culture Grid?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Jul 15 08:54:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Nick Poole <nick at collectionstrust.org.uk> wrote:
> Would you consider something of a 3-way between Culture Grid/OKF and Europeana?

Definitely. We've had a fair bit of contact with Europeana (in
particular the legal/licensing WP). The work on public domain charter
puts them a good position to promote the benefits of open data for
cultural heritage organisations:

  http://version1.europeana.eu/web/europeana-project/public-domain-charter-en

Perhaps we could develop a brief background document (e.g. explaining
benefits in this domain) + basic set of principles (e.g. based on
opendefinition.org). We did this with our Working Group on Open Data
in Science, and won an award for it! ;-)

  http://pantonprinciples.org/
  http://www.arl.org/sparc/innovator/panton.shtml

If there is interest in this perhaps we could start hacking on a first draft?

(Alexandra: agreed these should be truly inclusive of different
cultural heritage organisations -- perhaps we should use some good
examples to illustrate this...)

All the best,

--
Jonathan Gray