[open-heritage] Europeana factsheet on Open Linked Data

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Thu Nov 25 13:13:13 UTC 2010

On Nov 25, 2010, at 14:05 , Jonathan Gray wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM, ianibbo at gmail.com <ianibbo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> but outsude "What extra do I get by adding a license property and
>> setting it to an open license" is a question I don't feel I've
>> answered really well for myself yet (In this domain).
>
> The value of an open license is that it give people a green light for
> doing things. Without it you are much less likely to get external
> innovation happening around your stuff (whether this is new mobile/web
> services, or value/exposure from projects like Wikipedia, Flickr, Open
> Street Map, ...). Also if there is interest in getting input from
> developer communities, etc, then I would say that using an open
> license is a very important first step.

Jonathan is right, especially in the case of LOD, if you want to mash up linked data between several Silo's of data (Like Europeana, DBpedia or FOAF) on a larger scale than just between institutions you need to have compatible license schemes, else the resulting dataset will either be a license mess or it will probably break one of the terms of use of these data sets.

Maarten Zeinstra

Kennisland | Knowledgeland

T: +31.20.575.6720 | M: +31.6.43.053.919 | S: mzeinstra
www.kennisland.nl | www.knowledgeland.org