[OpenGLAM] Shared Shelf as an OpenGLAM platform?

Sam Leon sam.leon at okfn.org
Mon Apr 22 09:10:32 UTC 2013

Hi Sean,

I'm just having a look at Shared Shelf Commons, what an incredibly rich
resource.

The DataHub OpenGLAM group is very much a community curated effort. If
there are datasets you feel that should be there, do add them!

We do also maintain http://openglam.org/open-collections/ which by the
looks of things we should start listing some of these wonderful
collections. I also assume you've had a look at
http://publicdomainreview.org ? I know that Adam Green the editor (Cc-d
here) is very keen to talk to GLAM professionals who would like to help
curate collections from their institution on that site

While the underlying works of many of the collections on SharedShelf are in
the public domain, I must confess, I rarely find a clear indication of the
terms under which the images can be used. Sometimes in the footer you just
see "All rights reserved Artstor 2011" - I'll look into clarifying some of
this with the people looking after these collections and feedback! If you
have any more info - do let the list know too...

All the best,
Sam

On 19 April 2013 20:44, Sean Gillies <sean.gillies at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Sean and I'm a first time poster.
>
> My group is evaluating ArtStor's Shared Shelf for curating image
> collections. Do any of you have an assessment of Shared Shelf as an
> OpenGlam platform? I'm particularly interested in both technical and
> managerial/political comparisons to Flickr and Wikimedia.
>
> I've noted that both Flickr and Wikimedia Commons are represented in
> http://datahub.io/group/open-glam, but that Shared Shelf's Commons (
> http://www.sscommons.org/openlibrary/welcome.html#1) is not. I also don't
> immediately see any openglam-tagged datasets that are hosted from a
> deployment of Shared Shelf.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Sean Gillies
> Programmer
> Institute for the Study of the Ancient World
> New York University

Sam Leon
Project Manager
Open Knowledge Foundation