[OpenGLAM] Commons Machinery looking for Community Manager

Jonas Öberg jonas at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Mon Dec 23 09:03:48 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Rufus proposed that I post this here, since it may be of interest. The
initiative I founded earlier in 2013, Commons Machinery, is looking
for new staff to join our team part- or full time. At this point, we
have an advertised position for Community Manager but is also looking
for others, for instance software developers, interaction designers,
and students in relevant areas who have thesis work they want to do in
our realm.

For your convenience, here is some information about Commons Machinery
as well as the position of Community Manager, which you can also find
together with other information on
http://commonsmachinery.se/get-involved/job-openings

Commons Machinery is building the infrastructed needed to ensure that
contextual information about a digital work is never lost. This will
safeguard information such as the attribution, the terms of use and
where it was created, persistently associating a creator with her
creation. Commons Machinery’s services, building on this
infrastructure, will include voluntary notifications of use and
automatic attribution. We release everything as free and open source
software for others to build upon.

We’re looking for an outgoing person with great interpersonal skills
to join our team part or full time to build and maintain an active
community around our work. The Community Manager can be located
anywhere in the world and will work remotely, with some international
travel required to participate in meetings.

The Community Manager is responsible for:

- External communication in a broad sense; strategizing,
conceptualizing, writing and editing written materials (website texts,
flyer texts, manuscripts, press releases, etc).
- Writing and sending monthly news letters
- Maintaining out blog; planning materials for the blog, editing and
proof reading, writing and interviewing.
- Developing and maintaining our social media presence (Twitter,
Facebook, Vimeo)
- Keeping an eye on Twitter searches, Google Alerts and similar, being
responsive to mentions and on related news.
- Scouting out relevant events for us to participate in, and making
communication plans to make our presence at such events more visible.

Skills required

- Experience from sharing and using works under open licenses
- A highly structured way of working
- Self-starter with an intrinsic motivation that doesn’t require
extensive management
- Proven ability to quickly learn and adapt
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience and knowledge about metadata are beneficial
- Fluent in English; second languages a plus

Applying
Send your CV and introduce yourself to hello at commonsmachinery.se

Sincerely,

Jonas Öberg