[OpenGLAM] Open Gallery by Google

Jon Voss jon.voss at wearewhatwedo.org
Wed Dec 11 16:40:48 UTC 2013

	googleart
Launched - Discover #GoogleOpenGallery: the technologies behind Google Art Project freely available to all: http://t.co/Be0g9cyuys
12/10/13 2:56 AM

To be clear, they are making the software that runs the Google Art Project available for free.  It does not seem to be open sourced at all, though I'm not sure because I had to request an invite before I could find out more. As Noreen noted, it doesn't have anything to do with the content itself.  Like Historypin, an individual or institution can choose the license for the imagery, Open or not.

But it's still cool that they're making the software available for free, because now anyone (at least theoretically) can take a collection that is openly licensed and fire up a Google Art Project instance without going through Google.

I strongly agree with Heath on rewarding good behavior, and something we're looking at baking into Historypin.

Jon
Jon Voss
Historypin Strategic Partnerships Director
ph. 415-935-4701

We Are What We Do
London | San Francisco