[OpenGLAM] Open Gallery by Google

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Fri Dec 13 08:16:53 UTC 2013

Dear all,

My first impression is that the Google Gallery addresses an important issue crucial to the OpenGLAM movement in quite an intelligent manner: It provides a presentation layer for GLAM content that:

a)     is independent from the Data/Content infrastructure

b)    has reasonable usability

c)     can easily be integrated in an existing online presence / corporate design

d)    is useful for enterprises of various organizational maturity

e)     is easily scalable and has a high potential to become viral

f)     starts with few functionalities that can be enhanced/elaborated over time

There may be a few drawbacks that need to be further looked into:

a)     How well does it integrate with the precepts of OpenGLAM? - Keep public domain works in the public domain; declare the copyright status of each work; provide metadata under a CC-0 license (or equivalent); provide high-resolution images for download, modification and re-distribution by third parties if the copyright status of the work allows for it; engage with your audiences. From the outside, the tool doesn't seem to be particularly supportive of these precepts; on the other hand, it may well be possible to develop it further to become so.

b)    How about data protection issues? - Here I would expect a trade-off between the integration with existing social media platforms (virality, ease of user engagement) and data protection.

c)     The code is not open source, and Google is not neutral with regard to leading social media platforms the tool may be hooked up with.

My first reflex would be: Embrace it in order to transform it; if this fails, re-engineer it to fit our objectives.

What I would particularly watch out for (this list may not be exhaustive):

-       Keep the data/content layer and the presentation layer separate; standardize the interface in order to prevent vertical integration of the two layers and the creation of a de facto quasi-monopoly by a single market player.

-       Push for functionalities both in the presentation layer and in the data/content layer that are supportive of the OpenGLAM precepts; make sure that OpenGLAM issues are properly addressed in the standardization process.

-       Do a better job communicating what "open" is about. (What does it mean when big players are engaging in semantic hijacking? How can we keep the upper hand in the public discourse?)

My 2 cents,

Beat