[OpenGLAM] irony of CC-BY without PIs

Edson, Michael EDSONM at si.edu
Mon Jan 27 15:08:50 UTC 2014

Great point, Cath.

Yes yes yes: good user experience design is a better guarantor that people
will respect the "-BY" part of CC-BY than any license, plea, threat, or
wishful thinking a rights holder can dream up. In addition to good URL
design, ease of citation, clear writing presented in legible font sizes,
good overall findability - - all of these encourage users to cite and link
back to the original source.

(In our prototyping/testing a few years ago we discovered that users
*want* to link back to us, but we often make it very difficult for them to
do so.)

;)