[OpenGLAM] irony of CC-BY without PIs

Paul Keller pk at kl.nl
Mon Jan 27 15:19:16 UTC 2014

to add to this. the Public Domain Mark provided by creative commons actually offers support for usage guidelines and for specific attribution. both of these are features of the Public Domain Mark that  are probably not really well known/documented/promoted. you can see this feature in action if you click on the license link under any PD work in Europeana. her is an example:

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/9200103/ark__12148_btv1b8434960h.html

once you are on the page of the PDM deed, you will see a link to the Europeana Usage Guidelines, information about the linked work and some code for properly attributing the work. The code contains a link back to the original page. (sometimes these elements load a bit slower than the rest of the deed as they are dynamically fetched).

i think this feature is both under documented and under promoted and we might want to think about how we can change this. it provides institutions an ability to doe the right thing (label PD works as PD), request attribution (via the usage guidelines) and make it more convenient to provide attribution (via the code). This is very much in line with Dan's thinking on metadata attributions (CC0 has the same functionality) that he outlines in this excellent post: http://www.dancohen.org/2013/11/26/cc0-by/

best, Paul