[OpenGLAM] One Hundred Million Creative Commons Flickr Images for Research

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Thu Jun 26 10:19:37 UTC 2014

As I understood it, Timothy argued to the contrary.

Why on earth would you assume that metadata of non-free images would be copyrightable?
And why on earth would you assume that the CC-license applied to an image would govern the use of the associated metadata? (the metadata are just a collection of facts about a given object that may be gathered by anyone, and certainly not part of the creative act leading to the image).

There are rare cases where parts of metadata may be copyrightable (if for example someone adds poetic descriptions to images, which can be seen as creative works in their own right). – In this case, you can just remove these descriptions from your dataset, and you are left with a freely useable set of metadata.

In some countries (e.g. in the European Union) there are sui generis rights on databases which may be applicable to metadata catalogues; but this is not the case here – neither with Flickr nor with Wikimedia Commons.

Cheers,
Beat