[OpenGLAM] Italy: ICCD publishes 50k historical images "for personal use only"

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Fri May 23 10:17:34 UTC 2014

Hi Stefano,

This is definitely a pity for the open movement. Another recent release had
a similar non-commercial limitation (for public domain material): the
Mtropolitan Museum's release of 400.000 images, under their OASC program:
http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-museum/press-room/news/2014/oasc-access.

Kennisland wrote a good blog post on this issue yesterday called 'Why the
Met does not open any real doors':
http://www.kennisland.nl/filter/opinies/why-the-met-does-not-open-any-real-doors.
Hopefully this will help raise awareness of the importance of truly opening
up content instead of limiting the options for reuse.

We will be organising a workshop at the upcoming OKFest (15-17 July in
Berlin, see http://2014.okfestival.org/festival-programme/) discussing
this, which has just been announced on the preliminary programme this week:

   - Maintaining a healthy and thriving Public Domain – exploring the
   notion of originality and copyright when digitising analogue works – Joris
   Pekel (Europeana), Paul Keller (Kennisland), Lieke Ploeger (Open Knowledge
   Foundation), Thomas Margoni (University of Amsterdam) & OpenGLAM Open
   Knowledge Working Group

Anyone interested in discussing this further is of course very welcome to
join!

Best, Lieke Ploeger.

On 23 May 2014 12:07, Barbara Fischer <barbara.fischer at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> Hello Stefano,
>
> this keeps on happening, it might be an idea do ask the responsibles what
> they gain restricting the reuse and refer to the legal policies in other
> European countries like Norway or UK.
>
> But what I do is writing an blogpost pointing out to the readers why this
> content is yet unfree. Keeping the issue in the public.
>
> just my 2 cent.
>
> Barbara Fischer
> Kuratorin für Kulturpartnerschaften
> Jeweils persönlich von Montag bis Donnerstag für Sie erreichbar
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | NEU: Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-(0)44
>
> http://wikimedia.de

> Hello all,
>> this has not received much publicity (perhaps understandably), but
>> recently the ICCD (Italy's Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo e la
>> Documentazione) opened up ~ 50k images from their historical archives
>> http://www.fotografia.iccd.beniculturali.it/
>>
>> Unfortunately, as anyone familiar with Italy's cultural institutions will
>> guess, this material, albeit in the public domain, falls under the annoying
>> cultural heritage rights law so it's basically unusable for commercial use
>> and "can only be shared" (sic) for personal use, even if the images are
>> totally low-res (I can't even imagine how ridiculously small they appear on
>> a retina display).
>>
>> The terms of service provide an indication of CC-BY-NC-SA but additional
>> requirements are stated here http://www.iccd.beniculturali.
>> it/index.php?it/417/termini-e-condizioni-duso based on various decrees.
>> Summing up: another epic fail.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions?
>>
>> Ciao
>> steko
>>
>> --
>> Stefano Costa
>> http://steko.iosa.it/
>> Editor, Journal of Open Archaeology Data
>> http://openarchaeologydata.metajnl.com/

Lieke Ploeger

Community Manager  | skype: laploeger  |
@liekeploeger<https://twitter.com/liekeploeger>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on