[OpenGLAM] Italy: ICCD publishes 50k historical images "for personal use only"

Ben O'Steen bosteen at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:39:17 UTC 2014

I agree that it is a terrible shame to see these two 'releases' be
encumbered in this way, effectively making them of little (re)use.

However, I can imagine the internal struggle that likely took place to get
these images out there, with no technological restrictions on use and
without trapping them in a portal, widget or viewer. While their efforts
fall far short of what is ultimately needed, I think a better discussion
could be started about how we can show them the value of what they have
already done, and why opening further will only benefit them in the long
term.

The people who are pushing internally for their institution to open up need
to show things like improved engagement, higher views, written letters,
increase in donations and referrals, news articles and so on. These kinds
of responses give them the ammunition to battle those who condemn these
efforts out of hand, those who dismiss their efforts saying it will lead to
loss of revenue and be of no real academic use. Yes, they may be opening up
content because they feel that is the prevailing fashion, but there are
people who have been fighting within institutions like these for years who
*need* to show positive responses to opening up content, even if the
content is initially encumbered with an onerous licence.

tl;dr - we need to encourage, educate and provide the evidence to push
further, as well as pointing out the problems with licences.

Ben