[OpenGLAM] OpenGLAM Open Collections area - time for another update!!

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Mon Mar 23 17:32:11 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you another update on where we are with the Open
Collection area (I'll try to no longer refer to it as a page as it is
now a set of pages!) The area is currently at http://omeka.okfn.org/
though soon to move to http://openglam.org/open-collections/.

Most of the bugs people have spotted have been sorted but if you do see
any more pull a request on the Github page
<https://github.com/okfn/omeka-theme-glam/> (if theme related) or email me.

We held a meeting last week (notes here
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1vCGuGqidY0Vzd5M0u83fxU9dgZJHVhTfMcAsucVglpM/edit#>
= more general notes here
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1fj1PIU1Z9OpYNVKsDJtX7QWkDcIyYsNRNZ6n-7udKT4/edit#>).
We agreed the following:

  * That we will not have a ratings system but will instead have a
    'OpenGLAM badge of approval' (name not totally agreed on so if you
    have an idea make sure you say soon) - see here:
    http://omeka.okfn.org/exhibits/show/open/badge - the collections
    that will be given the badge of approval will be decided by the
    OpenGLAM team
  * That we will have a list of Tags ready in advance to help people
    chose tags - suggestions welcome
  * That we will have a list of subjects for collections to be assigned
    to - this should help themed searching. Joris is looking for an
    appropriate list but something like the REF Units of collection
    might work <http://www.ref.ac.uk/panels/unitsofassessment/> -
    suggestions welcome
  * That we will connect up with Curators Choice by adding a link to the
    blog post in each relevant collections metadata and that there will
    be a Curator's Choice page - see here:
    http://omeka.okfn.org/exhibits/show/open/choice
  * We can easily add more 'exhibits' or ways of seeing the collections
    (http://omeka.okfn.org/exhibits/show/open) - ideas on how we can use
    this section much appreciated
  * The area will contain only Open Collections - so collections with
    open content (i.e. images, video etc.) at this point in time. Open
    data sets (containing purely metadata) will not be included for now.

We are looking at a 2 phase roll out.

 1. In the first phase we will get the site in the right place and make
    sure it is fully functioning there. We will then have an online
    sprint when people will be invited to sign up and added to the site
    as administrators. They will then be given some general instructions
    and asked to update the site content e.g. checking metadata, adding
    information, adding reasonable quality images with metadata,
    agreeing on which collections should be awarded the badge of
    approval etc. In advance of the sprint we'd appreciate suggestions
    for collections - you can submit them using the contribute page
    (http://omeka.okfn.org/contribution) - feedback on the contribute
    page also appreciated
 2. After the metadata on the site is in a better shape we will
    publicise the OpenCollections area more widely.

We're hoping to start on the first phase (getting the site into the
right place) fairly soon, so if you have any feedback or suggestions
please let us know as soon as possible.

Thanks

Marieke
--

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |