[OpenGLAM] Bootstrap a combined OpenGLAM network - revitalise this mailing list

scann scannopolis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:57:43 UTC 2018

Hi everyone!

Thanks both Sanna and Sander for being present at the Summit. I really
enjoyed to listen to both your perspectives! It took us quite a long to
shift the focus but seems that we finally nailed it :)

Right now, the major initiative that CC is going to undertake in the Open
GLAM space is the adaptation of the CC certificates (if you don't know what
CC certificates are, you can read a little bit about them here:
https://certificates.creativecommons.org/) for the GLAM community. I know
that many of you have made efforts in the past or are currently making
efforts to teach about the licenses and other licensing tools (i.e. Rights
Statements) for GLAM institutions, and that many of you have developed
tools such as handbooks and manuals for doing that. If you want to share
those materiales or your experience, I'm going to be in charge of
developing the adaptation for the GLAM certificate, and I'd love to receive
an email from you about your experience and properly acknowledge it in the
course. We are just starting with this project so there's a lot of room to
receive input at this stage.

Last but not least, another point that I guess is important for the ones
that were present at the Summit discussing about all this is not only
sharing experiences and be able to enhance communities that are just
starting on this, but we have a big question about "how can this platform
help involve GLAM in policy discussions". For a long time, IFLA has been
advocating for openess in libraries, involving its network of librarians
from around the world in OA, OER, copyright reform discussions, among other
activities, but for GLAM institutions this has seem to be more complicated
and maybe we could help with that. As Sander said, this is just a starting
point but these are some of the ideas that we have been discussing.

Best,
Scann