[OpenGLAM] opportunity to write in the CC blog!

scann scannopolis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:46:59 UTC 2019

Hi everyone, I'm sharing this information that Jennie Rose from CC shared
today in our cc-openglam channel in Slack. Thought that maybe some of you
might be interested in participating:

As many of you know, on January 1, tens of thousands of books, films,
visual art, sheet music, plays, and other works passed into the Public
Domain in the United States for the first time in twenty years.
To support the EFF’s Copyright Week this year, CC is hoping to run a post
featuring short reactions/ blurbs about the new material in the public
domain. It’s easy: Choose something you enjoy, find interesting, or connect
with in the new public domain materials, and write a short (less than 150
word) reaction.
Please get in touch if you can choose one work and write a short blurb
about it by next *Tuesday, January 15.* If you feel overwhelmed by all the
material or constrained by time, but want to participate, please contact me
and we’ll try to figure something out. The timeline is short, but once
again, I would ask for your short submission by *Tuesday, January 15 at
2:00PM EST.*
In order to narrow down your choices, here are some lists of highlights:

* Duke Center for the Public Domain List:
https://law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2019/
* Wikimedia’s featured pictures in the Public Domain:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Featured_Pictures_in_the_Public_Domain
* A long spreadsheet of works from Boing Boing:
https://boingboing.net/2018/12/31/thanks-justin.html
* Public Domain Review Class of 2019
https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/class-of-2019/

As an example, here would be my submission:
“Yes! We have no Bananas”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SUhpbkgnQ
In college I used to go to a long-defunct bar in Greenwich Village for a
variety show curated by the old-time musician Eli Smith. (Himself a great
interpreter of works in the public domain.) One night, a mostly xylophone
band called the “Xylopholks” took the stage and performed “Yes, We have no
Bananas!” while attired in banana costumes. Needless to say, they brought
the house down. Some day, I hope to recreate this special moment, but until
then, I have to simply enjoy the fact that I can legally use, remix, and
reproduce this fabulous tune.