[OpenGLAM] community call this Thursday & some news

scann scannopolis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 21:30:26 UTC 2019

Hi Anna!

Yes, sorry about that observation that was lacking some context -- I
copypasted from the side chat and then had to run to do other errands, etc.
So now I've updated it in the doc -- but basically the explanation is that
Anne Young kindly shared with me some weeks ago a list of committees in
museums' associations that are working on intellectual property issues whom
it might be a good idea to contact with the Declaration and gather their
feedback. Then Sandra suggested we could do the same with committees
working with indigenous rights or similar rights inside museums'
associations, since this is another point that we want to include in the
Declaration.

Then, with regards to your question, I think it would be great if you could
provide further clarification around this (more than anything I'm curious):
"In Latam we define culture in a more broader way". I've seen several
contexts where at the very least the BAM terminology has been used (agreed
that they probably don't include 'galleries' as in GLAM, but definitely
reusing LAM).

So far nothing has been decided yet with regards to the Declaration, so for
sure there's space to make comments/questions/introduce nuances, etc. We're
using the Open GLAM declaration as a shorthand but if you check the
document it has a larger name -- precisely because it might well be that
some cultural heritage is not living necessarily inside institutional
settings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16tcyayOAAt-rJo4sPp7nQINZZ4DYiz5heI_PpRvtcL8/edit#heading=h.5fbv5hu4y8jx

But to cut long story short, yes, there's space to discuss these issues
(and any other issues).

cheers,
scann