[open-literature] Open Letters project

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Apr 17 15:06:28 UTC 2010

Iain has started an "open letters" project (anyone interested is
welcome to participate!):

On 28 March 2010 12:56, print.crimes <print.crimes at yatterings.com> wrote:
> Following on other parts of the conversation, I've started on moving the
> current incarnation of the letters project to Redis/Python. I also mentioned
> it to Stuart Dunn at King's college/AHeSSC (who has passed it onto another
> colleague) and there does seem to be an interest in it from them and the
> notion of mining the social graph. I've registered it on Knowledgeforge and
> CKAN so will try to get a move on in getting the code
> online.(http://knowledgeforge.net/project/letters/)

Okay, so I've created a mercurial repo here:
https://knowledgeforge.net/letters/hg

I have then:

a) created a basic pylons project which we can use for the site

b) (in /viz/ directory) moved over my existing work on dickens letters
(http://rufuspollock.org/code/dickens) and did some minor
tidying/integration. This contains code to:

  * Load basic json data both simply and into RDF
  * Visualizations:
    * basic star social network (using networkx)
    * circular 'clock' image based on idea of ben o' steen (more work needed)

I've uploaded resulting visualizations here:

<http://wiki.okfn.org/p/Open_Letters/Gallery>

Rufus