[open-literature] www.openliterature.org

print.crimes print.crimes at yatterings.com
Tue Jul 5 17:04:25 UTC 2011

Hi James,

Hope that OKCon was good. Sorry couldn't make it but deadlines at work,
and some unexpected 'surprises', meant that I'd cancelled all hopes of
going this year.

I've been thinking about this slightly more off than on but it is a
necessary step. The projects seems slightly disparate and there ought to
be a point of reference.

Having a shared blog would help give the community some cohesion and a
focal point for news and updates. It might be good to have the Open
Shakespeare trac (which I'm pretty sure now has Correspondence and
Milton tasks (I'm slightly behind schedule on some of those then :-[ ))
linked off to make it a more central resource. I know that Shakespeare
is the biggest project but perhaps we could come up with a  more generic
image or even logo for the openliterature site?

I don't know if you agree but perhaps each project could have a page on
the wiki as an overview / introduction as well as a piece about
literature and openness.

Open Milton needs an overhaul. I'm not sure that we've really touched it
since the launch on his 400th birthday and it is looking a bit tired
now. I think that the Xapian search might have been the last bit of
work. It is linked to the Shakespeare codebase so I'd to refresh my
memory of how it works so that any changes do not affect the Shakespeare
code. I probably need around a day to complete but don't have one until
later this month.

I'm working on some visualisations for Open Correspondence with  a view
to trying to complete the correspondent links and update the site in
general. It could do with annotating as well as with Milton. It is
either the chicken or the egg to the existing data in response to the
general comment that we need tools as well as data.

Perhaps we could also help Jack Leigh (sorry, _really_ belated hello and
welcome to the list) if he would still like to move his Celtic work onto
pages on the wiki (if he and  the list agrees) and the linked page
licences allow (are the Cambridge links open as in OKD compliant?)?

We might also start linking to useful tools, like the annotater, off a
tools page on the wiki? Something that may be worth thinking aloud about
on the list would be what tools would be useful and can we either find
them under suitable licenses or think about developing them or
encouraging their being relicensed?

I think I might have raised more questions than answers here. Sorry,
stream of consciousness.

Best,

Iain