[open-literature] www.openliterature.org

James Harriman-Smith openliterature at okfn.org
Wed Jul 6 11:47:40 UTC 2011

On 5 July 2011 18:04, print.crimes <print.crimes at yatterings.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Hope that OKCon was good. Sorry couldn't make it but deadlines at work, and
> some unexpected 'surprises', meant that I'd cancelled all hopes of going
> this year.

OKCon was fun. It's a pity that you could not make it: there was even an
'Open Hardware' talk. Many of the conference proceedings are slowly
appearing on okcon.org/2011 now, though.

> Having a shared blog would help give the community some cohesion and a
> focal point for news and updates. It might be good to have the Open
> Shakespeare trac (which I'm pretty sure now has Correspondence and Milton
> tasks (I'm slightly behind schedule on some of those then :-[ )) linked off
> to make it a more central resource. I know that Shakespeare is the biggest
> project but perhaps we could come up with a  more generic image or even logo
> for the openliterature site?

I'm currently working on a generic image (an early draft attached to this
email), and will try and turn it into a logo very soon.
As for the trac, there are now wg.openliterature and project.openshakespeare
components; perhaps project.openmilton, project.opencorresondence?

> I don't know if you agree but perhaps each project could have a page on the
> wiki as an overview / introduction as well as a piece about literature and
> openness.

The wiki is a good idea for now, and will probably act as a place to draft
ideas for the final texts on the open literature site. I'll post a url when
I have it.

> We might also start linking to useful tools, like the annotater, off a
> tools page on the wiki? Something that may be worth thinking aloud about on
> the list would be what tools would be useful and can we either find them
> under suitable licenses or think about developing them or encouraging their
> being relicensed?

Agreed. Will get on to this.