[Open-science-nl] Nationaal Plan Open Science

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:04:48 UTC 2017

Dear Jeroen, all,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Bosman, J.M. (Jeroen) <j.bosman at uu.nl> wrote:
> just wondered whether you saw this blogpost about the National Open Science
> Plan for the Netherlands, including a national platform that are both
> currently in the making:
> https://tulibrarian.weblog.tudelft.nl/2016/12/17/just-science/.

I had not seen this yet.

> The initiative is from the Ministry and stems from the EU Open Science
> Conference held in Amsterdam in April 2016.

Excellent.

> Bianca and I were interviewed by one of the authors (Anke Versteeg mentioned
> in the post) from Delft University and we shared our thoughts, also asking
> for more openness on the process,

Very good!

> but otherwise we do not now much much
> more. It seems a very much top down approach from the Ministry (Sander
> Dekker).

Not good. Who are involved?

> I am not sure whether we should just wait and see what comes out of it
> (early February) or try to influence the process now. Wonder what you all
> think.

I think we should approach them as soon as possible and meet them halfway!

We can give them very useful feedback and experiences... I have been
involved in community outreach in a large cluster of EC-funded
projects in the past three years, and there is a lot of confusion and
suboptimal decisions (being positive here).

Very importantly, we cannot have this hijacked by (other) lobbyist
which can be keen on changing the definition of Open Science as
Elsevier (just one example) did recently...

> Have a great Open Science year!

Same here!

Egon

--