[Open-science-nl] progress updat on Dutch National Open Science Plan

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 14:56:00 UTC 2017

Hi all,

another update... one thing I did is looks for references on where the
term "Open Science" comes from... so far, I can only trace it down to
the Open Source and Open Data communities. I captured literature here:

http://www.citeulike.org/group/20496

Particularly, it seems quite influenced by Open Source and
governmental researchers in the USA in the late 90-ties...
particularly, the Brookhaven National Laboratory meeting was well
covered by independent sources... it's nice to see the role that Dan
Gezelter, operator of openscience.org, played in that, who was the
first Dr. Who of the Jmol software... I visited Dan in 2000 when we
designed the Chemistry Development Kit, which, yes, uses
openscience.org as basis for the package names...

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be quite timely if we get our webpage reinstantiated and will
> contact the OKFN Open Science coordinators about this.

The science.okfn.org website seems a bit unstable, and I have trouble
again accessing it... but I updated its Wiki to list the NL mailing
list again...

Other local groups have G+ parts and even separate websites... ideas welcome!

Egon

--
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT