[open-science] Call for Participation: Digital Research 2012, 10-12 September, Oxford

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Sat Aug 18 10:46:19 UTC 2012

                    Digital Research 2012

                    10-12 September 2012
             St Catherine’s College, Oxford, UK

                digital-research.oerc.ox.ac.uk

 Digital Research 2012 features an exciting 3-day programme with a great
set of invited speakers together with showcases of the work and vision
of the Digital Research community.  Here are some highlights of the
programme - please see the website for the full programme and
registration information:

 * New Science of New Data Symposium and Innovation Showcase (Mon 10th).
Keynotes from Noshir Contractor (Northwestern University) on Web
Science, Nigel Shadbolt (Government Information Adviser) on Open Data
and a closing address by Kieron O'Hara (philosopher, computer scientist
and political writer) - with twitter analytics, geolocated social media
and web observatories in between.  Also the launch of the Software
Sustainability Institute's Fellows programme and community workshops.

 * Future of Digital Research (Tue 11th).  Keynotes from Stevan Harnad on
"Digital Research: How and Why the RCUK Open Access Policy Needs to
Be Revised", Jim Hendler (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) on "Broad
Data" (not just big!), and Lizbeth Goodman (UCD) on "SMART spaces by
And for SMART people". Sessions are themed on Open Science, Smart
Spaces as a Utility and future glimpses from the community, culminating
in a Roundtable discussion on the Future of Digital Research.

 * e–Infrastructure Forum and Innovation Showcase (Wed 12th).  We
open with a dual-track community innovation showcase, then launch the
UK e-Infrastructure Academic Community Forum where Peter Coveney
(UK e-Infrastructure Leadership Council and UCL) will present the "state
of the nation" followed by a Provider’s Panel, Software, Training and
User’s Panel - an important and timely opportunity for the community to
review where we are and determine what's needed in the future.

 There's a lot more happening throughout the event, including an exciting
"DevChallenge" hackathon run by DevCSI, software surgery by SSI and
multiple community workshops - plus the Digital Research 2012 dinner in
College and a reception in the spectacular Museum of Natural History.
We're very grateful to everyone who has come together to make this event
possible, including e-Research South, Open Knowledge Foundation, Web
Science, the Digital Social Research programme, our Digital Economy
colleagues and the All Hands foundation.

 We look forward to seeing you at Digital Research 2012 in Oxford in
September.