[open-science] toward a low-overhead fastpath for open-science "publishing"

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 07:43:21 UTC 2012

This is great Tom,

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> summary: let's produce something like a fastpath (more below)
> demonstrating an open-science "publishing" (more below) process
> suitable for use by the very-early-career or #scholarlypoor
> aspiring scientist. I sketch parts of one (below the line).
>
> details:

> Thanks all for your interesting talk today
>
> http://ckan.okfnpad.org/meetup-2012-08-02
>
> Since there seemed to be interest (at least, from me :-),

and from me!

> and since I
> think it's a fairly general usecase that might be useful for (e.g.)
> tutorials/howto's/etc, and since I'd definitely appreciate suggestions
> for improvement (esp of ease-of-use :-), here's some more detail about
> what I'm trying to do, and how. (Got a better way to communicate/
> collaborate on this particular topic? Please lemme know.)
>
> I am sure Sophie Kershaw - Panton Fellow - reads this but I've copied her
in as she is running a 3- week training course on data management  for
starting PhDs.

What I hope will emerge from this (eventually :-) is a "fastpath " for
> open-science "publishing" suitable for folks like me:
>
> "Fastpath" (a term from my years coding for a massive three-letter
> acronym) refers to a document for a demo. (Or the script for a demo
> video.) A fastpath is one level below a howto--even more hands on,
> with even less explanation: "type this, then click that, and you'll
> get this thing." Fastpaths instill confidence (to the extent they are
> completely replicable), and can convince the audience to learn more.
> (Notably, to RTFM--which the fastpath's intended audience is usually
> loathe to do.) Note that a fastpath doesn't need to be, and usually
> isn't, the "absolute best way" to do something (which usually varies
> by practitioner): it's just so drop-dead easy

for the users! It isn't drop-dead easy to create!

> and robust (and is
> therefore usually designed before, and developed with, the code it
> documents) "even Marketing can run it." FWIW, one part of an
> open-science publishing fastpath should definitely be
>
> http://trac.ckan.org/ticket/2796
>
> I put "publishing" in quotes because the domain I target includes many
> activities (e.g., logging, collaboration) that terminate (more or
> less) in generation of formally-structured content ("FSC"). The other
> activities are unfortunately disrespected relative to that which gets
> funding, tenure, etc--such is life.

Yes. This is a major problem but at least funders are talking about it.

> [...]
>     has a capable-looking hierarchical filesystem, so I'm not so
>     concerned about data security when evaluating public datastores. I
>     also understand (better, after the talk) the costs associated with
>     DOI minting and maintenance, and must accommodate that. But my
>     datasets are fairly large (GBs, not yet TBs), so capacity is
>     definitely an issue. So I'm thinking I will
>
>   * publish DOI-worthy data and products at public DOI providers
>     (e.g., pangaea.de (earth-science-specific), figshare.com), so as
>     to stay within space limits for each provider.
>
>   * publish raw-er data and products, for which DOIs are less
>     necessary, at non-DOI-providers such as thedatahub.org et al
>     (e.g., github), so as to stay within space limits for each
>     provider.
>
>     (datadryad.org also seems useful, but *much* too late in the
>     process. Why wait to open-store your data until you have a
>     published article? Am I missing something?)
>
> 2.2 processing data and generating products using open-source and
>     publicly-available code and "engines" (e.g., compilers, VMs)
>
>     I'm only partly compliant: I use mostly R for my own work, but
>     generate the base-level data using legacy models which currently
>     rely on proprietary compilers.
>
> 2.3 managing code with open-source SCMS and public datastores (aka
>     repositories).
>
>     git+github seems fine for this; but, as with previous, there are a
>     lotta good tools and services in this space. (That being said,
>     github has some excellent documents that could be easily
>     incorporated into a fastpath.) I write R, but have not been
>     packaging it: gotta start doing that.
>
> 3 managing references with open-source RMS and public datastores.
>
>   Lotta range here, from all-the-way FOSS (e.g., zotero) to mixed
>   public/proprietary (e.g., mendeley, IIUC).
>
> 4 generating formally-structured content ("FSC"--e.g., articles,
>   posters, presentations) directly (with maximum automation and
>   reproducability) from more process-oriented content ("POC"--in the
>   above, wiki(s) and datastore(s)).
>
> PROBLEMS: include, more-or-less in order from least to most severe:
>
> 1 Gollum, the github's wiki's rendering engine--at least, the
>   publicly-deployed version--is butt-ugly. For aesthetics, I miss
>   mediawiki, but the version to which I have access is behind a
>   firewall, for which it's hard to enable access. (And MW does not
>   support interaction via git repo, which I very much like about
>   github's wiki. And backing up an MW is still a PITA, at least
>   relative to backing up a git repo.)
>
> 2 Gollum does not currently support automatic table-of-contents
>   generation, which
>
> * makes page navigation *much* more difficult
>
> * requires lots of manual internal-link generation
>
> 3 I am *quite* far from an FSC-generation solution--I've been putting
>   it off to generate more POC (which make the bosses happy). I need to
>   spend some time with Carl Boettiger's stack

Good choice

> http://www.dexy.it/
>
>   before some upcoming conferences.
>
> your assistance is appreciated (as is just reading this far :-)

I have read it. There's an awful lot and it will take a lot of coordination
as well as implementation. Can it be done in stages?

And not also that there are several groups thinking like you who are doing
bottom-up things. Much of this may be integratoin - and from my own
experience that takes time.

But good luck