[open-science] toward a low-overhead fastpath for open-science "publishing"

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Fri Aug 3 21:47:03 UTC 2012

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-science/2012-August/001760.html
Tom Roche Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM
>> let's produce something like a fastpath [for] an open-science
>> [publication-oriented] process suitable for use by the
>> very-early-career or #scholarlypoor aspiring scientist[, where
>> "fastpath"] refers to a document for a demo. (Or the script for a
>> demo video.) [It] doesn't need to be, and usually isn't, the
>> "absolute best way" to do something (which usually varies by
>> practitioner): [it just needs to be so relatively] drop-dead easy
>> [that] "even Marketing can run it."

Or that can one record it and put it on <your internet video site here/>
and be reasonably confident that any given member of the target audience
can run it successfully.

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-science/2012-August/001761.html
Peter Murray-Rust Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:43:21 +0100
> It isn't drop-dead easy to create!

... as noted in original

>> [A fastpath should] therefore usually designed before, and developed
>> with, the code it documents

But, as I should have noted in the original (but added above), a
fastpath just needs to be *relatively* drop-dead easy. I.e., for a
ginormous task like a scientific project, a fastpath need only be more
deterministic and much, *much* faster. And it can be assembled @
runtime from previously-prepared components:

> [A fastpath would probably be] an awful lot and it will take a lot
> of coordination as well as implementation. Can it be done in stages?

Yes. What follows is

* just one way to do this. YMMV. Alternatives welcome.

* based on my current service/tool choices, which may be waay
  suboptimal, but are known to work ... somewhat :-) See problems
  noted in original.

* based largely on my experience as a corporate coder (through late
  naughties), which worked then (but goes stale fast in IT-time):

  My previous gig was developing IDEs for other corporate developers
  (very "meta") working mostly with java and XML, but also legacies like
  SQL and COBOL. (aside: COBOL is not dead--there's GLOCs of it in
  production, everywhere--it's undead :-) So we had to simulate the
  automation of relatively-specialized tasks for folks working in
  (code-wise) quite built-up but very closed environments. (Notably,
  FIRE: that's "where the money is," but those folks *absolutely* don't
  want their code made public.)

  Salesfolk (prettier than coders :-) would demo our wizzy tool du jour
  (e.g., a drag-n-drop diagram editor allowing one to represent
  architectures at a high level and interact with them via wizards
  (i.e., sequences of dialogs) for generating/modifying/deploying code)
  using previously-written fake-but-realistic-looking (I'll call that
  "PWFBRL") components. We used these canned components because actually
  writing them at "demo-time" would have been slow and boring and not
  what the target audience was interested in. So a demo-er would
  therefore spend a fair amount of time saying/doing things like
  (just OTTOMH):

  "So here's your legacy for creating a global-economy-destroying
  derivative contract [click on diagram node opens PWFBRL COBOL in an
  editor]. As you can see [scrolling], it calls foo, bar, and baz
  [clicks in code navigator opening other PWFBRL sources]. And here
  [more navigator clicks] are your triggers in the customer database
  [scrolling more editors showing PWFBRL SQL, putting more nodes on the
  diagram]. And here's your website for your vampire-squid clients [more
  clicks, scrolling, nodes, PWFBRL java, HTML, XML]. Now we're gonna
  invert control [a major naughties buzzphrase] with callbacks in the
  [your framework here--java is all about frameworks :-] façade [and
  about design patterns :-] [lots more clicks, drags, some typing]. Now
  let's recompile [click], and run this sucker [open browser, type a
  little]--et voilà!" [applause]

ISTM CKAN could do likewise. Here's an example (for convenience
only--nothing set in stone, noting caveats from first post in this
thread, and I may be missing something(s)):

1 Know/determine your target audience. (Always job #1.)

2 Imagine (better: copy/modify) a publication-oriented science project
  that is

* sufficiently generic to be understandable by the target audience

* sufficiently interesting to appeal to the target audience

Consider skipping ahead to step=7 (usecase generation), or just do
that in parallel with the following steps (3..6):

3 Project goal: formally-structured content (FSC):

3.1 Imagine (better: copy/modify) one or more FSC instances that the
    project owner(s) would want to generate (e.g., an article, poster,
    presentation).

3.2 Choose FSC generation (FSCG) tool/service(s):

    Probably your major design decision. You will be criticized--get
    over it !-) You want something that outputs pretty FSCs, for which
    inputs are easy/quick to author, that is easy to setup, that
    operates robustly, has good support/community, and <your criteria
    here/>.

    Test your choice: create simple input(s), feed to your FSCG,
    inspect output, loop until you're satisfied.

4 Project-oriented content (POC):