[open-science] looking for high-impact success stories of open science

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 21:19:29 UTC 2013

Hi David,

A few highlights from last year in open science, in my opinion:

In the same spirit as Nick's comment, also take a look at the knitr
(similar spirit to the ipython notebook) project, http://yihui.name/knitr/,
which has had a big impact in making research conducted in R more
reproducible; particularly thanks to integration with the Rstudio project.

Certainly NSF's changing "papers" to "products" is a significant step for
Open Science as well, e.g. see the (paywalled) article from yesterday
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v493/n7431/full/493159a.html

In my opinion, the increased participation of journals in mandatory and
synchronized data archiving through data dryad is a continuing success
story from last year, e.g. see http://datadryad.org/pages/jdap

The rapid growth of sharing figures, data, presentations, code, and even
grants on Figshare.com might make a good candidate too.

The culture-shift of geneticists embracing preprint archives this year
certainly seems worth remarking on, particularly as biologists have been
one of the staunchest opposition formerly.   e.g. see Haldane's Seive, and
dx.doi.org/10.1038/488019a

(A more personal story of my own experience in practicing open science is
here:
http://www.carlboettiger.info/2012/09/28/Welcome-to-my-lab-notebook.html,
though nothing on the innovative community scale you're probably looking
for)

Cheers,

Carl

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Nick Barnes <nb at climatecode.org> wrote:

> I'd look at Fernando Perez' presentation to PyCon Canada 2012.
> http://blog.fperez.org/2012/11/back-from-pycon-canada-2012.html
> iPython, and especially iPython Notebook, is shaping up to be an
> amazing tool for collaboration, sharing, publication, etc.  There are
> a series of cool examples from about 40 minutes on in the video,
> including two particularly ones from about 43:30.
>
> Also ask Victoria Stodden for some RunMyCode stories.
>
> Nick B
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM, david osimo <david.osimo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear all, thanks again for all your input last year. As you might
> remember
> > we've finalized a study on Open Science for the European Commission.
> > It turned out to have quite an impact and we're supposed to give a
> > high-profile presentation in 2 weeks with top decision makers in EU.
> > Because of this policy impact, I could not yet share the results with
> you.
> > Hope to do it soon.
> >
> > Anyway, for this next presentation, I'm compiling a list of success
> stories
> > of science 2.0. We look for inspiring scientific advances enabled by:
> > - open access
> > - open data
> > - open code / reproducible science
> > - other collaboration tools such as wiki, blogs, etc
> >
> > It would be great if you could help finalizing this compilation. we could
> > really make a small difference in EU policies on this topic.
> >
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq7ILf5BATiJdHBzZ3JDdjRaTGtmQUE0M3gtSHVfZ1E
> >
> > By the way: why don't we build opensciencestories.org?
> >
> > Best
> > david
> >

> > david.osimo at gmail.com
> > skype, twitter: osimod